It seems like summer is flying by and August is so close… so you may be planning one final trip to the beach. This beach trip should be relaxed and worry free, but are you concerned of possible damage to your hair from the salt water?
Good News! Water from the ocean may actually be good for your hair, depending on the type of hair. It helps treat eczema and psoriasis, reducing scalp irritation and inflammation that results in hair loss from excessive scratching. Is your hair too oily? If yes, a dip in the ocean will help reduce the oil in your hair. Seawater also promotes circulation and healthy hair growth.
FACT: The salt water from the ocean is rich in natural vitamins and minerals.
Are there exceptions? Like most other things, yes!
- Dry hair in the ocean can dry out even more. The solution to this is to coat your hair in a specific oil to protect your hair, while allowing your scalp to benefit from the minerals in the seawater.
- If you color your hair, the combination of the saltwater and the sun results in the color in your hair to fade and develop a hard texture. The solution is to coat your hair in oil like with dry hair.
One final note, ALWAYS wash your hair after your dip in the ocean. You don’t want to leave the sea salt in your hair and scalp.
What is the Pompadour?
Did you know the Pompadour is one of the most popular men’s hairstyles for 2016? This hairstyle features:
- Short length on the sides and back
- Long hair on top that is combed upwards and towards the back
- A large volume of hair in the front that recedes towards the back
These days, different variations of the pompadour exist depending on a person’s face shape, lifestyle, and preference. For example, the classic style has long sides that are slicked back.
Where did it originate?
Did you know that the pompadour was originally a female hairstyle? It was named after King Louis XV’s mistress, Madame de Pompadour. It took the King of Rock & Roll, Elvis Presley, to finally introduce the pompadour as a hairstyle for men.
How do you style it?
- Start out by using a towel to dry your hair, keeping it slightly damp.
- Blow dry on low, while combing with a round brush from front to back.
- Rub the right amount of pomade (depending on length) into your hands and run it evenly through your hair. Use your fingers to reach the roots. (Note: Begin at the sides and move toward the top)
- Finish it off with a final comb… Sides to the back and then the top of your head. Create a part if needed.
Summer is officially here, 4th of July is just around the corner and everyday is hot and humid. It’s pretty obvious that you don’t need to check the weather report to know how humid it is outside; just feeling your hair is sufficient. We’ll now state the obvious… hair is very sensitive to humidity (specifically the airborne hydrogen)! Straight hair turns wavy, curly hair gets curlier and develops frizz. Scientifically, water molecules in the air and the protein in your hair will form hydrogen bonds resulting in frizz and curls. Overly dry hair, from chemically based hair treatments, is especially vulnerable to humidity.
What can you do? First, you must know that you need to keep your hair moisturized to keep it from getting frizzy. Here are some possible solutions:
- Use the right shampoo and conditioner for your hair type in order to lock in the moisture. Finding the right products is especially true for those with curly & dry hair. Also, try deep conditioning, by letting the conditioner sit for a longer period.
- Squeeze the excess water out of your hair instead of using a towel
- Serums and creams, specialized in keeping moisture, should be applied on damp hair.
- Allow hair to air dry some before using a blow dryer, but finish it off by blasting your hair with cool air to seal the moisture.
- Dry your hair completely or your damp hair will absorb extra moisture as soon as you walk into a humid environment (aka outside). This would defeat the purpose of all the work you just put in.
- As a last resort, you could braid, twist or put your hair in a bun/up-do to protect it from the humidity.
Ever find yourself in charge of taking care of the kids, Dad? Does your daughter need help with her hair?
No worries Dad, we’re here for you…
- First of all, don’t panic! It’s actually a lot easier than it seems and, like most other things, requires repetition and practice. Hopefully before this situation arises, you can take a couple of pointers from a pro (your wife). Practice, practice, and practice some more!
- Always begin by brushing your daughter’s bed head and undoing any tangles.
- Now that the hair is brushed, what should you do next? Keep it simple and stick to a classic, the ponytail. Remember that you’re not an expert and a ponytail is best for beginners.
- Keep the natural part in your daughter’s hair and slightly dampen her hair to make it easier. Comb her hair back, grab the hair at the back, slide the elastic band around what you grabbed, and place it as close to her head as possible (but not too tight). You can also use clips to keep the loose hair at the top of her head in place.
- You can’t find the clips? A headband is an even better option! First, let your daughter choose her favorite color, then comb her hair back before putting it on. It should be over her forehead and behind her ears.
There can be two outcomes to this… Let’s pretend that you succeeded and loved doing it! Go ahead and show off your new skills by learning more complicated ponytails or braids. You are now Super Dad!
Didn’t go so well and you don’t know what you just attempted? Use whatever resources you have around you; look up a quick and simple video tutorial online or get a neighbor to do it for you. No one is going to judge.
Do you wash your hair every day? Is your hair too frizzy or dry? Does it get too greasy the next day? You may be damaging your hair by ridding the natural oils from your hair follicles. Over washing will make your hair dull and rough. The dry, frizz is a direct result of the excess loss of your hair’s natural oils.
Too greasy the next day? It’s only oily in the root area, but dry and stiff at the ends. Why? The more you wash your hair, the more you are over stimulating your hair follicles into producing more hair oil. This results in your hair quickly becoming greasy the next day.
Solution! First, slowly reduce the frequency of washing your hair (maybe every other day). Your hair will get oily the next day by habit, but this transition will be short. Healthy hair should be washed only 2-3 times a week. If you feel the need to freshen up, then try dry shampooing in-between instead (we carry several, including Kevin Murphy’s Doo-Over and Fresh Hair, and DrySpell Color Protect Dry Shampoo).
Exceptions? Like most other things, yes! If you exercise (and sweat) a great deal, live in a humid place, and have a very oily scalp.
Tips from Rodi:
- Shorter hair can be washed more frequently because the natural oils are able to distribute throughout the hair in less time.
- It’s easier to style day-old hair and it generally looks better when healthy.
The trending hair color at the moment is to go lighter! Going blonde will not limit the type of hairstyles you can have, because length isn’t an issue. It’s difficult to know exactly why blonde trends in the summer months: Is it the longer days? Maybe, all the sunshine? Or the warmer, beach weather? Do blondes really have more fun? Let’s observe the reasoning from a more logical point-of-view:
- Blonder hair brings out the youthful features in a person’s face
- Blond represents a softer and more milder color
What if you have tanner or darker skin tones? At Rodi Salon, we will use colors that will eliminate unwanted tones, which will result in a darker shade of blonde. Unwanted tones, like red and orange, are a direct result of going up too many levels in coloring. The level will be determined and toner will also be used, since blonde hair usually tends to be more complicated.
The Bob Family… did you know most all haircuts are hair bobs? There are short bobs, layered bobs, long bobs, asymmetric bob’s. Love your long straight hair? No problem, your just not part of the Bob family.
As you make your change in wardrobe for this Spring/Summer season, why not complete the change with one of the trendiest hairstyles of 2016!
We’re talking about the Choppy Bob, rocked by Sophia Bush and styled by celebrity stylist Buddy Porter. What makes this hairstyle different? It adds softly cut layers to the traditional bob.
Ideally, the Choppy Bob works best for straight and slightly wavy hair. It’s cut shorter on the sides and angled longer in the front. Texture is added by cutting long, choppy layers throughout.
For maintenance, trimming every 2 months for upkeep is recommended.
Now that spring is here, you probably wont need to look at the weather report to know how humid it is. Humid air will cause your hair to curl and fizz from the hydrogen bonds that form between water molecules and the protein in your hair.
At Rodi’s Salon, we specialize in the Brazilian Blowout – a hair smoothing treatment used to straighten hair by bonding the protein in the outer layer of your hair. This treatment will remove fizz, add shine, seal color and decrease the time needed to blow dry without damaging your hair.
Is it different from Keratin Treatment?
It’s actually more convenient and done in less time (about 90 minutes). Best of all, you can go home and not worry about your hair for the next couple months!
How is it applied?
- Hair must first be shampooed and dried, but not fully dry
- The product is applied, then blow dried and flat ironed
- Finally, the hair is shampooed, conditioned and the product is rinsed out before the final blow dry
It’s a 3-step treatment made to eliminate the negative reaction that oxygen has in treated hair, leading to breakage. This simple, safe and non-toxic treatment works on every hair type and has been the preferred treatment for celebrities like Kate Hudson, Emma Stone, and Reese Witherspoon to get that glamorous look only seen on the red carpet!
If you highlight, color, perm, blow dry, hot roll, braid, or treat your hair in any way; then you need Olaplex to eliminate the chance of breakage, help the color last longer, and keep your hair healthy. Additionally, Olaplex relieves and soothes the ends to cut down the dry, frizzy look.
Only 3 Steps! (First 2 steps are done at Rodi’s Salon)
- Rodi’s Salon will add the Bond Multiplier to the lightener or color.
- The Bond Perfector will then be applied after your hair is rinsed, but before the shampoo and conditioner.
- Finally, the Hair Perfector is taken home and applied once a week to strengthen your hair.
Every style of hair has to be treated differently; which means that you must find the correct blow-drying technique for your hair length.
- Begin by placing some smoothing serum unto your damp hair. You can use a comb to spread it around evenly, but don’t brush it yet.
- Blow-dry your hair, without a brush, to eliminate most of the moisture.
- Now clip the top sections of your hair, then set your dryer to heat (you will need a brush). Start with the section of hair in the back and go through a small, manageable section at a time. Remember to dry from the roots towards the ends.
- Unwind your hair from the brush, while rotating your wrists (Remember from roots to ends) as you blow dry. Keep repeating this process at each section until your hair is completely dry.
- Now give your hair a blast of cool air from the blow dryer to set it in place.
- Finally, almost done… use either a texturizing spray or smoothing serum (depends on preference) to finish the styling. It’s important to ALWAYS massage the roots in the process.
At this point you probably look flawless and ready to go out!
Schedule an appointment for hair and makeup to start the summer off right! Make-up lesson and application $50. When you book your hair and makeup appointment together in June or July, we are offering $20 off the package!
We proudly carry Jane Irendale mineral cosmetics, specially formulated with Organic, pharmaceutical grade Vitamins and Antioxidants.
These cosmetics are allergy safe, anti-irritant and non-comedogenic. Several products within the line have also been proven to aid in the prevention of sun induced damage by the Skin Cancer Foundation!
Love yourself this Valentine’s Day! Take advantage of our $75 Valentine’s Day Blowdry and Makeup Combo! Whether you’re a subtle romantic or you really want that va-va-voom! Rodi Salon in Vienna,Va is the place for you to release your inner and embrace your outer beauty!