Summer is rapidly approaching and that means humidity is on the rise as well. What always accompanies humidity? Frizz, of course! Here at Rodi Salon, we know the very best way to combat frizz is with a Brazilian Blowout. But, what exactly is a Brazilian Blowout?
Brazilian Blowout professional smoothing treatments are the most innovative and effective smoothing treatments in the world. Through the use of breakthrough technologies, these customizable treatments actually improve the condition of the hair by creating a protein layer around the hair shaft. This process effectively eliminates frizz and smoothes the cuticle, leaving you with smooth, frizz-free hair and radiant shine.
Not only is Brazilian Blowout extremely effective, it is also the only professional treatment that can be customized to keep curl and lose frizz, or to achieve a sleek and straight result. Known for significantly reducing drying and styling time for up to 12 weeks, another major benefit of this treatment is that it is finished at the salon with no “down” time. This means you can leave the salon and immediately wash your hair, exercise, or pull it up into a stylish ponytail or clip without having to wait days to do so. We offer both the in salon treatment and the outstanding Brazilian Blowout product line which extends the life of your treatment.
Don’t let the rising humidity keep you from fully enjoying your Summer. We at Rodi Salon have the knowledge, training, and expert products to help you achieve the hair of your dreams. Make an appointment today by calling 703-288-3880, or come see us at 2070 Chain Bridge Road, Suite 181 in Vienna, VA. For your convenience, you can also make your appointment via our mobile app. Download it for free from iTunes, Google Play, or Amazon.
What seems like the longest winter EVER is finally showing signs of relenting to Spring! Yay! In the spirit of celebration, now is the perfect time to treat your hair and repair some of the harsh effects of the cold winter air. Here at Rodi Salon, we have the perfect option when it comes to hair repair, Olaplex.
What exactly is Olaplex? We hear you! Consider Olaplex akin to your fairy godmother’s magic wand, only it’s real, and your fairy godmother is your highly trained stylist! It is a three-step process that works on a molecular level within your hair’s structure to restore its natural beauty. Sound too good to be true? Well, prepare yourself! This fabulous treatment can not only be used as a stand-alone, but it can also be an add-on to your color service. The first two steps of this magical process take place right here in the salon, and you complete the process at home with the final step.
If you are receiving a new hair color or other chemical services, we can apply the first step in the olaplex process right along with it. This step will rebuild the broken chemical bonds in your hair to make it smooth and shiny. The second step will be applied either after shampooing or the final color rinse and will rebuild upon the first by infiltrating any broken bonds that remain after your style or color service. The last step in the process will be yours to complete with a weekly at home treatment that will provide ongoing protection from heat, UV rays, and chlorine in your water. The Olaplex treatment will keep your hair looking and feeling it’s best as we head into Summer!
Don’t let dry or damaged hair keep you from fully enjoying the season ahead. We at Rodi Salon have the knowledge, training, and expert products to help you achieve the hair of your dreams. Make an appointment today by calling 703-288-3880, or come see us at 2070 Chain Bridge Road, Suite 181 in Vienna, VA. For your convenience, you can also make your appointment via our mobile app. Download it for free from iTunes, Google Play, or Amazon.
Have you ever heard the words “balayage”, “ombre”, or “babylights” and wondered just what in the world people were talking about? As professionals, we know that the ever-changing lingo in the world of hairstyles can leave you scratching your head and finding it difficult to know what to ask for when you sit down in your stylist’s chair. Have no fear! We are here to help you learn the most common terms in hairstyles today so you and your stylist can be on the same page when that exciting appointment arrives!
Ombre: Derived from the French word that means “shadow”, ombre is the actual style. It is the transition from a darker shade to a lighter shade and generally works best on brunettes because it’s the least subtle of all the current techniques. Ombres are perfect for the girl who is more daring and willing to maintain the style. Similar to color blocking, the ombre style leaves no dark pieces on the bottom, just a nice smooth transition between the two colors.
Balayage: Derived from another French word that means “to sweep”, balayage is the technique. The color is swept through small triangle sections of hair onto a board or foil, giving it a natural transition down into the lighter color. Unlike an ombre, a balayage does leave pieces of darker hair at the bottom to create dimension and a more natural look, requiring less maintenance and upkeep.
Babylights: Have you ever noticed that children naturally have dimensional hair? We tend to outgrow this as we age, but babylights mimic this natural sun-kissed look. Using a technique similar to highlights with a touch of balayage, babylights require much less hair than traditional highlights resulting in a subtle but beautiful dimensional look.
Here at Rodi Salon, we offer all three of these color services and more! Make an appointment today by calling 703-288-3880, or come see us at 2070 Chain Bridge Road, Suite81 in Vienna, VA. For your convenience, you can also make your appointment via our mobile app. Download it for free from iTunes, Google Play, or Amazon.
Spring is in the air, and even though it may still be a bit chilly, it’s time to look ahead to what we like to call “formal season”. What is that? Oh, you know…. It’s the time of year for special occasions, like prom, a military ball, or even an upcoming wedding! In any event, a formal occasion calls for phenomenal hair, and here at Rodi Salon, we consider ourselves something of an expert on this topic. We’ve gathered a few of our favorite formal hairstyle looks that are trending this season. Take a look and then give us a call so we can make your event a special one!
Flowing romantic waves are perfect for long to mid-length hair. If you choose to wear your hair down, we’ll add some interest with waves and textures, like a baby braid or twist. If you prefer a half-up look, floral accessories are having a major moment right now and will add the perfect finishing touch.
Speaking of braids, they are a fantastic option for formal events because they easily stay in place while looking very feminine and polished. From dutch braids to side braids, or even a fancy fishtail, a braid can be the perfect romantic look you’re looking for.
Up-do’s are an elegant way to accentuate your face and draw attention upwards. We can achieve this in a variety of ways, from sophisticated twists to bohemian knots. This is also an excellent choice if you want to add an elegant accessory for a polished look.
Short hair? No problem. Our stylists are experts at creating beautiful looks no matter the hair length. We can still add a graceful side braid, a beautiful accessory, some fantastic texture, or even a fairly new trend – unstructured pins.
No matter the occasion, we at Rodi Salon would love to be a part of your special day. For weddings, we even have packages that include on-location hair and makeup for your ultimate convenience. Make an appointment for your consultation today by calling 703-288-3880, or come see us at 2070 Chain Bridge Road, suite 181 in Vienna, VA. For your convenience, you can also make your appointment via our mobile app. Download it for free from iTunes, Google Play, or Amazon.
September is ending, fall is here… pretty soon the leaves will fall, you’ll be celebrating Halloween and sipping on you favorite Pumpkin Spice latte. In case you haven’t noticed it all over Instagram yet, pumpkin spice hair color is the hottest trend this fall!
Pumpkin spice hair was introduced in 2015, but is leading an even bigger comeback this fall season. Drawing inspiration from the red, orange and yellow fallen leaves in the sunlight, it re-embraces creativity in the red hair spectrum and dares you to be bold.
Pumpkin spice hair is described as having multi-dimensional vibes in addition to shades of golden blonde or chestnut over copper strands. It has more copper undertones, rather than being a brunette with red undertones.
Sources: http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/, http://www.popsugar.com/beauty/, http://www.self.com/story/pumpkin-spice-hair-might-be-the-biggest-hair-color-of-the-season, http://www.allure.com/story/pumpkin-spice-hair, http://www.today.com/style/pumpkin-spice-hair-latest-version-fall-craze-t51596
You may have noticed that casual is in style and fashion more than ever before. This is partly due to our busier lifestyles and hectic schedules. Who has an hour to get ready? And how can we solve this dilemma?
It’s easy! Ponytails are simple and take only a few minutes to style. There are many types of ponytails for any occasion; and they work for any age, sex, hair color, outfit and type of hair as long as the length is sufficient.
- Ponytails save time and hassle. All you have to do is pull your hair back and secure in place with a hair band. This allows you to spend more time on other important things.
- It lets you get away with not washing your hair, which indirectly preserves hair color treatment for longer periods.
- It gets hair out of your face, especially on those hot or windy days.
- Ponytails can be comfortably rocked at the gym or when dining out.
Lastly, even with a ponytail, you still need to take care of your hair. Here’s some advice:
- If you are consistently using ponytails, alternate where you capture the base. This helps avoid weakening the roots and possibly tearing, ripping and knotting one area.
- Use hair-friendly bands, not rubber bands that will pull and damage strands of your hair. We recommend Goomee hair ties. These hair ties are specifically made to create uneven pressure within the band, which prevents hair damage/breakage and those annoying ponytail marks when you decide to take your hair down. Clients also find they experience no headaches as opposed to when they use other hair ties. Goomee’s also won’t lose their shape, if you feel like it has stretched out, simply put it under hot water and watch it shrink to its original size! We carry these at Rodi’s but they can also be found online at http://goomee.com/
- Hair is delicate and susceptible to damage when wet, so be extra careful. Try using a detangling spray or leave in conditioner before brushing!
Do you like to take a dip in the pool every summer? Or do you swim to stay in shape? If so, then your hair probably feels abnormally dry for the next few days…
Is it the chlorine in the pool?
Absolutely! Chlorine is a disinfectant added in pool water to protect us from possible bacteria and other viruses. It breaks down and removes oil, dirt, bacteria and other matter. Unfortunately, chlorine affects your hair as well and constant exposure will result in damage.
First of all, your scalp naturally produces oils, called sebum, to protect your hair from daily damage. Sebum is what gives your hair shine and flexibility. Regular exposure to pool water strips the oils from your hair, which causes over drying and possibly significant damage. Also, too much exposure to chlorine WILL also turn your hair green!
Side note: Short and occasional exposures to pool water wont damage your hair.
Keep in mind, not all hair is created equal! Hair with the highest risk typically will be:
- Color treated or highlighted
- Chemically treated
- Dry hair
- Thin or fine hair
- Previously damaged hair
Is there a way to prevent the damage?
- Wear a swim cap
- Rinse your hair with tap water before entering the pool. This saturates the hair and prevents the pool water from getting soaked in, so keep rinsing during and after!
- Put leave-in conditioner into your hair before going in the pool.
- Shampoo immediately after, to remove the chlorine.
- Use conditioner after shampooing to replenish protein and moisturize your hair.
- When drying, don’t rub! Pat with a towel or gently squeeze the water from your hair before covering it in a towel to dry.
- Don’t use a brush to detangle wet pool hair, instead use a wide-tooth comb.
What if the damage is already done?
Talk to your hairstylist for possible treatment options, before attempting treatments of your own or treatments found online.
What is Balayage?
Balayage is a hair coloring technique; which allows for a healthy, natural finish for a softer, classic look! With the aim being natural, less is more. It’s applied on the surface of your hair using more of a freehand technique.
How old is it?
Balayage originated in 1970’s Paris and its meaning in French is “to sweep or to paint”. It has recently been showing up more and more into catwalks and red carpet events.
Will it work for me?
Balayage works for all hair types! Celebrities, like Rihanna and Rosie Huntington-Whitely, have used it… proving that it can work on two very different types of hair. Also, unless you have very short-cropped hair, it works on most hair lengths. The purpose of balayage is to apply the color that best compliments your skin tone and brightens your beautiful features.
Is it difficult to maintain?
The best part of balayage is that it requires little maintenance. The few protection methods include color protecting shampoo & conditioner and other regular treatments with coloring your hair. It lasts about 10 weeks with no touchups needed. Unlike other coloring methods, balayage is done to grow out more naturally without developing noticeable roots in your hair.
Ask Rodi about this classic approach to beautiful color!
It seems like summer is flying by and August is so close… so you may be planning one final trip to the beach. This beach trip should be relaxed and worry free, but are you concerned of possible damage to your hair from the salt water?
Good News! Water from the ocean may actually be good for your hair, depending on the type of hair. It helps treat eczema and psoriasis, reducing scalp irritation and inflammation that results in hair loss from excessive scratching. Is your hair too oily? If yes, a dip in the ocean will help reduce the oil in your hair. Seawater also promotes circulation and healthy hair growth.
FACT: The salt water from the ocean is rich in natural vitamins and minerals.
Are there exceptions? Like most other things, yes!
- Dry hair in the ocean can dry out even more. The solution to this is to coat your hair in a specific oil to protect your hair, while allowing your scalp to benefit from the minerals in the seawater.
- If you color your hair, the combination of the saltwater and the sun results in the color in your hair to fade and develop a hard texture. The solution is to coat your hair in oil like with dry hair.
One final note, ALWAYS wash your hair after your dip in the ocean. You don’t want to leave the sea salt in your hair and scalp.
What is the Pompadour?
Did you know the Pompadour is one of the most popular men’s hairstyles for 2016? This hairstyle features:
- Short length on the sides and back
- Long hair on top that is combed upwards and towards the back
- A large volume of hair in the front that recedes towards the back
These days, different variations of the pompadour exist depending on a person’s face shape, lifestyle, and preference. For example, the classic style has long sides that are slicked back.
Where did it originate?
Did you know that the pompadour was originally a female hairstyle? It was named after King Louis XV’s mistress, Madame de Pompadour. It took the King of Rock & Roll, Elvis Presley, to finally introduce the pompadour as a hairstyle for men.
How do you style it?
- Start out by using a towel to dry your hair, keeping it slightly damp.
- Blow dry on low, while combing with a round brush from front to back.
- Rub the right amount of pomade (depending on length) into your hands and run it evenly through your hair. Use your fingers to reach the roots. (Note: Begin at the sides and move toward the top)
- Finish it off with a final comb… Sides to the back and then the top of your head. Create a part if needed.
Summer is officially here, 4th of July is just around the corner and everyday is hot and humid. It’s pretty obvious that you don’t need to check the weather report to know how humid it is outside; just feeling your hair is sufficient. We’ll now state the obvious… hair is very sensitive to humidity (specifically the airborne hydrogen)! Straight hair turns wavy, curly hair gets curlier and develops frizz. Scientifically, water molecules in the air and the protein in your hair will form hydrogen bonds resulting in frizz and curls. Overly dry hair, from chemically based hair treatments, is especially vulnerable to humidity.
What can you do? First, you must know that you need to keep your hair moisturized to keep it from getting frizzy. Here are some possible solutions:
- Use the right shampoo and conditioner for your hair type in order to lock in the moisture. Finding the right products is especially true for those with curly & dry hair. Also, try deep conditioning, by letting the conditioner sit for a longer period.
- Squeeze the excess water out of your hair instead of using a towel
- Serums and creams, specialized in keeping moisture, should be applied on damp hair.
- Allow hair to air dry some before using a blow dryer, but finish it off by blasting your hair with cool air to seal the moisture.
- Dry your hair completely or your damp hair will absorb extra moisture as soon as you walk into a humid environment (aka outside). This would defeat the purpose of all the work you just put in.
- As a last resort, you could braid, twist or put your hair in a bun/up-do to protect it from the humidity.
Ever find yourself in charge of taking care of the kids, Dad? Does your daughter need help with her hair?
No worries Dad, we’re here for you…
- First of all, don’t panic! It’s actually a lot easier than it seems and, like most other things, requires repetition and practice. Hopefully before this situation arises, you can take a couple of pointers from a pro (your wife). Practice, practice, and practice some more!
- Always begin by brushing your daughter’s bed head and undoing any tangles.
- Now that the hair is brushed, what should you do next? Keep it simple and stick to a classic, the ponytail. Remember that you’re not an expert and a ponytail is best for beginners.
- Keep the natural part in your daughter’s hair and slightly dampen her hair to make it easier. Comb her hair back, grab the hair at the back, slide the elastic band around what you grabbed, and place it as close to her head as possible (but not too tight). You can also use clips to keep the loose hair at the top of her head in place.
- You can’t find the clips? A headband is an even better option! First, let your daughter choose her favorite color, then comb her hair back before putting it on. It should be over her forehead and behind her ears.
There can be two outcomes to this… Let’s pretend that you succeeded and loved doing it! Go ahead and show off your new skills by learning more complicated ponytails or braids. You are now Super Dad!
Didn’t go so well and you don’t know what you just attempted? Use whatever resources you have around you; look up a quick and simple video tutorial online or get a neighbor to do it for you. No one is going to judge.